Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Hover mower not cutting smoothly and leaving clumps

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
NY wrote:
I have a Flymo Hover Compact 350 mower which is not cutting as well as
it used to: it tends to leave clumps and sometimes I have to go over the
same patch a couple of times because initially it bends the grass over
rather than cutting it. This is for normal lawn grass with maybe a
week's growth since the last time it was cut.

I've had the blade sharpened. As far as I can tell, the motor is running
at full speed.

The only thing that is unusual about the blade is that it is slightly
kinked: the last few centimetres where the blade is sharpened bend
upwards by a few degrees (ie the tip is slightly further away from the
grass). Should the fact that the blade is not perfectly flat matter,
given that the height of the cut will be determined by the lowest point
of the sharpened part of the blade.

Have you got the blade in the right way round? Just a thought.

Good question. I did wonder about this. I took the whole mower (*) to the
mower servicing company that sharpened the blade, so hopefully they refitted
it the correct way round.

(*) Because the crappy plastic (!!!) spanner that Flymo provide for undoing
the central bolt is far too flimsy for the job: why couldn't they have
provided a metal one which would allow enough force to be applied?