Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Inkjet ink v faountain pen ink?

On 03/08/2015 21:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Nightjar cpb has brought this to us :
On 03/08/2015 18:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just found a decades old, never used Parker fountain pen, with
the squeeze to fill type bladder system. Of course I don't have ink for
it, but I do have lots of black ink refill kits for inkjet printers, so
I tried that and it seems to work OK.

Any comments welcome please. Will the bladder dissolve the nib choke up,
or might it be OK long term?

Impossible to say in advance, without knowing the chemistry of the ink.

Some inkjet inks are water based, which should not be a problem. Some
are oil based, which may not be compatible with the bladder.

The colour may, in common with most fountain pen inks, be a dye or it
may be a pigment, which can clog pens. The price may be a guide, as
pigmented ink is more expensive than dye based ink.

Thanks, it seems to be water based - I can smudge it with a wet finger
and it was just a cheap refill, bought years ago, when I used inkjets..

It is interesting to contrast the "colour fastness", or rather lack of
after a number of years, of a print from a horse show photographer,
(presumably inkjet) with adjacent and contemporary prints from my Canon
Selphy dye-sub printer.