Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default Inkjet ink v faountain pen ink?

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...

As an aside I started using an American ink that Noodles make which reacts with the
cellulose in paper making it archival,(virtually waterproof)because I had a notebook
which got damp, the ink bled and was unreadable and I lost valuable records..

A lot probably depends on how long you want to keep stuff for.
Since the introduction of wood pulp paper in the 1850's and
the need for acid, there's no doubt that paper from that
era is now brittle and falling apart. However this is a
process that may take 100 years. And while the paper
in books printed during WW2 has a distinct "East German"
look to it - rough, brown specks - and is browning a bit, its
still holding up after 70 years. So whether its worth forking
out extra for archival acid free paper or not depends on
circumstances
As to inks I'd imagine their biggest enemy is sunlight
or UV generally. And that any notebook kept closed in a boxfile
or drawer for most of its life should stay legible for
centuries. Assuming the paper hasn't crumbled away in
the meantime, that is.

michael adams