Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

On 31/07/2015 23:28, J.B.Treadstone wrote:
Although Linux is inherently more secure than Windows, Linux programs can
have security holes too. These are usually fixed promptly, so keep the
system up to date. The four steps of blocking at the router, disabling
unnecessary services, running a firewall and keeping your software updated
will mean you can safely use the Internet with confidence.

I run Windows here. I have an anti-virus. I've actually seen it trigger
once or twice when spam arrives - but never really in anger. (I wasn't
going to run that exe...)

The same set of safety techniques you use on a Linux box have served me
well here on Windows.

I stand by what I said; there are a lot of idiots using Windows. Those
servers you mention are not, by and large, run by idiots, nor by the naive.

And as for Linux holes "usually being fixed promptly" - well, just come
up with a good argument for our corporate IT on why they ought to move
away from Ubuntu 12.04. Fixed isn't necessarily rolled out.

Andy