Sam Goldwasser

Default Kenmore microwave acting intermittently

You didn't say whether the oven keeps heating after the fan and turntable
stop?

How do the fan and turntable get their power? Could be a bad connection.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

(Beanie) writes:

Okay, so I've tried everything possible to get a microwave that was
picked up off the street to work. It's a Kenmore 565.8925590, 1300W,
serial 1V7C01490, manufactured September 1991. The magnetron and
controller IC are made by Sanyo, so I imagine that the entire oven
was, too. So, here's the symptoms the microwave exhibits:
The microwave will happily begin to microwave a cup of water. After
about a minute or so, the fan and the turntable will stop. The light
stays on, and the counter keeps going. If I stop the microwave cycle
and let the oven cool down, I can start it up again, for about another
minute. So, I opened it up, and checked the usual suspects (fuse,
interlock switches, etc.) The primary interlock switch was always
open, so I replaced it. That didn't fix anything. All of the
switches appear to be making good contact with the actuators on the
door. There are two thermal protectors. Both offer a resistance of
zero, and according to the schematic (and the actual wire routing) if
either opened, it would kill power to the entire oven--so I know that
they are not at fault here. The magnetron does become hot to the
touch, but it's not _that_ (135 degrees centigrade) hot.
As far as I can tell, the only thing left to be at fault is the
relays, that are located on the controller board. I'm a little leery
of testing the relays on it with the oven live--especially because the
warning labels clearly state that the step-down transformer will give
me a jolt. :-) There is a burn mark on the PCB in the center, but the
resistors, diodes, and caps in that area all test fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Chris