Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

On 03/08/2015 16:23, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

The internet was mostly BUILT out of Unix computers. Networking is in
its blood.

When it consisted of three machines that was true.

Networking came much later than Unix.

Unclear. I first saw unix running on a PDP-11/45 at DEC Western
Research Lab (Palo Alto) in 1977. Earlier than that, at CERN, we had
been building networks, based on our own hardware and software and
using coax cable. These were point to point links up to a few km and
running (for the shorter links) at up to 5Mbps.

OK TCP networking rather than uucp over serial links, etc.