Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default Solar power calculations, please help!

In article , Chris Hogg
writes
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:14:56 +0100, bert wrote:

In article , Chris Hogg
writes
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 01:53:31 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 20:27:15 UTC+1, bert wrote:
In article , Tim Streater
writes
In article ,
harry wrote:

On Monday, 27 July 2015 12:59:58 UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:

So which items will be turned on and off by others, then, harry? Items
I'll be pleased about, I mean.

Stuff like water heaters and refrigerators. Electric car charging.

I use oil for heating water, and have no electric car. And I don't want
the fridge turned off.

0/10 harry. Must try harder.

The only time you might agree to having the fridge turned off is when it
is at its designated temperature - when its thermostat has switched it
off - doh.
--
bert

But I'd still want the little light on when I open the door, so I can
find things in the dark. But that might only happen when the sun is
out and the wind is blowing.....

Surely, operators of truly 'smart' meters will only bother to control
high-demand items such as DHW, CH and Harry's car*. If power becomes
limited (too many green generators, but no wind or sun), I don't see
the point of switching off the minor stuff. They, by definition, will
only make a minor difference.

*whether that should include cookers will no doubt be debated when the
meters become widely installed. I can see Xmas lunch on a dull,
windless Xmas Day being somewhat delayed, if they do!

There's no such animal. "Smart meter" is a marketing term dreamt up to
persuade people to accept meters which can be read remotely rather than
have a man in a van calling round. As a further part of their bull****
they try to persuade you that by sitting in your garage or under the
stairs watching the meter click over you will somehow magically save
electricity.

It's only the eco-warriors who have seized on the term and tried to
interpret it as something which it is not to try to cover the
deficiencies in their concept of renewable energy being a viable
provider of power.

That's why I called them truly smart meters. The so-called smart
meters of today have very little in common with the sort of device
that could throttle back or switch on or off, your DHW or CH under
instruction from your supplier, depending on the availability of
electricity. It will be a sad day when it happens, but it's Harry's
nirvana!

My point is that as far as I now no-one is actually designing or
developing such a meter. Of course it is theoretically possible but
wholly implausible.
--
bert