Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

In message , News
writes
In message , Chris French
writes

Cheapest way if you a suitable laptop/tablet/phone with HDMI output is
to hook that up and display it on the TV. though using a
Chromecast/Fire/Roku is a nicer experience.

Chris, everyone, thanks, as ever. We thought we had settled on Netflix
until today's Amazon announcement - son is now thinking we should
switch to Prime, because the ex Top Gear crew are his heroes.

Not sure when the program will actually be available.

The Prime site is even worse than Netflix! Am I understanding
correctly? Pure streaming 5.99 per month OR streaming, music, delivery
etc 79 per annum? Than is, an extra seven pounds a year for the extras?
(I hope it is not 79pa PLUS 5.99pm).

That's right, just the £79 pa -of course you are signed up for a year.

Just sign up for a months trial of Prime to see which is preferred.

Having signed for one of the above, are there additional charges for
specific content? Wife has just found Braveheart on Amazon, but it
seems that we pay an additional 2.49 to watch, in addition to the
subscription?

Some content has extra charges (buy or rent), some content is included
'Prime Instant video' stuff is included. My feeling from using both at
different times is that the amount of included stuff on Amazon is about
the same as Netflix, but they also have extra stuff that you pay to
either own or rent. This isn't necessarily bad. Films just released on
DVD can be available to buy on Amazon Instant Video at the same time.
They won't appear on Netflix for a ages.

The business models are bit different I think.

Taking Chris's point above, could we use an old X Box as the 'box' to
turn an ordinary TV into a smart TV?

Might depend on how old is 'old'

Finally, I can't find, on the Amazon site, the additional cost, if any,
to allow more than one simultaneous download.

Basically 2 devices, but I think it's a bit more complicated cos of the
options to by and rent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201422770

--
Chris French