Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:15:55 +0100
Bill wrote:

That is
a) the sort of typical response of a Linux user. "If you replace the
basic system with this one written by someone even more unknown it
will start to work".

I don't know about this being typical of Linux users, but it works in
this case. Humax seem to stop while developing their software just
before they have made it really good. The Customised Firmware (CF) makes
the world of difference to its abilities. The supplied software works as
is, the CF makes it better.

SWMBO regularly asks me "How come thick people
seem to have no trouble installing insert unit and you are making
such a fuss?". I have no answer.

I have sympathy for your long-suffering wife!

b) possibly very useful, thank you. Mine is a 2000T, and that seems
to apply to a FoxT2, whatever that is.

A FoxT2 probably has 'FoxT2' written on it somewhere. I would not be
certain that it was the same as a 2000T, although it might be. The
forum I referred you to would tell you. The CF is very
product-specific, as each Humax is different.

I still wonder at the thought processes of a manufacturer who designs
something with the red light for "off" and the same red light for
"recording".

The CF can fix that for you.
It's no worse than using the 'Start' button to shut the computer down.
Oh, that's a Windows idea, isn't it?

--
Davey.