Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

Huge wrote:
On 2015-07-30, Robin wrote:

Whilst you (and he) have a point, it's all irrelevant.

(i) The desktop market is dying. I was in a meeting the other day
where it was pointed out that the vast majority of access to our
website is from mobile devices. And MS have just failed completely in
their second attempt to break into the mobile market.

(ii) The war is over; Unix (and its relatives) won. Android is Unix.
iOS
is Unix. Blackberry is Unix (and dying itself, sadly). Windows Phone
is nowhere.

(iii) In the server space, Unix won overwhelmingly.

(iv) Microsoft are a marketing company, not a technology company. Most
people use Windows because they know no better.

I've no quarrel with (i)-(iii) with 2 small caveats:

a. I thought we were (still) in the context of Dave Lang in front of
his laptop (and I'm not going to buy him a tablet!)
b. most office workers I know/see still seem at present to use some
mix of Windows/Office (but I don't know where that might go with eg
Chrome)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid