Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT ish Slow Windows

On 29/07/2015 23:02, David Lang wrote:
Hi

New laptop is already starting to run slowly. Piggin Windows 8.

I used to have Norton 360 which had various function to do disc clean
up, defrag etc.

Not sure if Norton 360 still has those functions? Don't like the price
of it either.

Anyone recommend a download that will clean up & improve speed?

Just been through the same thing with a mate's W7 IBM C2D laptop. Slowed
to a crawl - minutes to open a browser.

Not helped by 2GB RAM, but we got it going fairly well by stripping out
all the IBM laptop functions (media keys, fingerprint software, other
stuff), and he'd attracted some adware that'd latched on to Chrome, so
ditched that and put on Firefox and AdAware. AVG antivirus kept.

FWIW, an SSD disk can transform these older machines IME. But no harm
(at all) in stripping out bad software.

--
Cheers, Rob