johnnie7

Default Strange FPU error on P3 computer

may be worth checkin the bios settings
esp. the memory speed...turn everything to low setting and try

may be worth tryin spare ram stick...just incase 1 gone bad

"Mike" wrote in message
processor, consider an upgrade, cause thats a slow CPU.

"Robert Dansereau" wrote in message
om...
Since my original posting a few days ago on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
had no replies, i thought that one of the
excellent people in this group might help...

I have this very decent computer with a
Gigabyte GA-6BXC mobo and a Pentium III MMX
450 MHz. 18 GB SCSI, 192 MB RAM

It has an Adaptec SCSI card, a SCSI CD-ROM
player (on ID4) and a SCSI hard disk (on ID0).
It used to be a NT4 server before it was retired.

It works fine, it boots fine all components report
OK, but as soon as I attempt to install WIN98 on
it, it immediately reports an error during Scandisk
as follows:

run-time error M6101: MATH
- floating point error: invalid

and stops dead. I tried to replace the SCSI setup
with a IDE HD and CD-ROM, even removing the SCSI
card. Works fine! boots fine, but I encounter the very
same error during Scandisk.

Is it a processor problem? could it be a config
problem? This machine worked for two years
as a server and never gave me the slightest
problem.

I would love to use it as my workstation, it would
perform better than my old Pentium I - 166!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Robert