Robert Dansereau

Default Strange FPU error on P3 computer

Since my original posting a few days ago on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
had no replies, i thought that one of the
excellent people in this group might help...

I have this very decent computer with a
Gigabyte GA-6BXC mobo and a Pentium III MMX
450 MHz. 18 GB SCSI, 192 MB RAM

It has an Adaptec SCSI card, a SCSI CD-ROM
player (on ID4) and a SCSI hard disk (on ID0).
It used to be a NT4 server before it was retired.

It works fine, it boots fine all components report
OK, but as soon as I attempt to install WIN98 on
it, it immediately reports an error during Scandisk
as follows:

run-time error M6101: MATH
- floating point error: invalid

and stops dead. I tried to replace the SCSI setup
with a IDE HD and CD-ROM, even removing the SCSI
card. Works fine! boots fine, but I encounter the very
same error during Scandisk.

Is it a processor problem? could it be a config
problem? This machine worked for two years
as a server and never gave me the slightest
problem.

I would love to use it as my workstation, it would
perform better than my old Pentium I - 166!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Robert