Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default eureka moment

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

On 26/07/2015 11:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
First for the year:-(

New sandpit constructed for the grandchildren..... yes, I did try it
out! Why doesn't play pit sand come out of moulds cleanly like damp sea
sand?

Management is insisting that it must have a cover. Cats, Foxes, falling
leaves etc. At around 2mx 1.5m not ideal for plywood offcuts.

Co-incidentally some left over tubular metal garden cloche ends match
the 1.5m dimension and there are lots of 12mm o/d steel tubes more than
2m long. I don't have tig or mig welding tackle.

The cloche design used plastic spigots secured to the end frames which
plug in to larger diameter tubing than I have.

The eureka idea is to plug the tube ends with some hot melt (glue gun)
glue, grind the ends to match the cloche end, drill a hole to take a
stainless woodscrew......:-)

If the kids use it more than once I'll be surprised, whereas a bag of
sand with plastic pots.....

We had about 40 kids with their parents here yesterday at a wedding
reception for my daughter. A pile of hay bales kept them amused from
noon until late evening - not a single tantrum or argument - quite
amazing and relatively easy to arrange. Mind you the clear up is going
to be a bit of an issue !!!!!!!

AOL:-)

Straw is cheaper! Mind, dad and youngest are hay fever sufferers.

I take Stuart's point about usage but, if nothing else, it means I
don't have to struggle (and can sell!) carrying the portable one out of
the garage!

Our kids used to love the sandpit when they were younger.

And I had one as a kid. Quite deep IIRC, sunk in the ground lined and
floored with paving slabs. We spent ages playing in their digging
tunnels for toy cars etc. playing with toy soldiers
--
Chris French