Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

In message , Lobster
writes
On 25 Jul 2015, Tim Watts grunted:

On 25/07/15 09:36, News wrote:

One last question. Assuming we select Netflix, with one device, is it
possible to record, for later viewing? I'm thinking that we (parents)
could download and record whilst son is at school, for later evening
viewing, so we could watch something recorded while he uses the live
download.

Netflix doesn't work like that - it is all on-demand and the concept of
recording has no meaning.

Are there any such internet-based *do* work like that - as far as I know,
there aren't?

No, except iPlayer I guess - which will let you download and gives you
30 days IIRC to watch. And get iplayer will get it for you if you want
to keep it.

It is possible to record the video output from Netflix - or anything
else - with a screen capture program but you have record it whilst
playing it. all rather clunky. With Netflix, for an extra quid a month
you can stream to 2 devices.

Since at Chez Lobster we watch a lot of so-called 'boxed sets'; by which I
mean 'series of episodic drama', we rarely watch live TV but set the
VirginMedia box to record particular series, and it may be many months
before we'll get round to watching the whole lot, usually depending on
which permutation of the family is in residence at the time. For that
reason we have always steered clear of on-demand offerings, assuming they
are likely to be taken down before we've finished watching the series...

Mostly it's been ok.

Though there have been occasions when something has fallen of the
service and I've gone looking for *cough* - alternative sources to
download it from (which is where we came in)

--
Chris French