Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default Rolled up curtain track kits

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
newshound used his keyboard to write :
On 23/07/2015 21:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
If you ever think to buy a curtain track, which comes rolled up - best
avoid it like the plague.

I bought one maybe a decade ago for when I might need it, a complete kit
including the rail, brackets screws and etc. all you need and ready to
fit. Today I needed it. The suggestion was to put the track in hot water
and it will straighten out, er no it didn't. A waste of time and will
need replacing.

The trouble is it has had a long time to "creep" into the wrong shape. You might try
winding it up the other way in hot water, or pinning it down flat on something like a
patio or a felt roof on a hot day. How long is it? If no more than 3 metres, put it
inside a length of tube (scaffold, gutter downpipe, waste pipe?) and feed steam into
it from a wallpaper stripper. You will probably still have to "reverse bend" it while
hot.

Its a 3m one, but I only needed 2x 30" lengths of it. The instructions said hot water,
so I tried hot on the entire roll, which made not much difference. In the end I cut off
the two 30" bits and just tried to get those straight - it looks awful.

Temperature sensitive flexibility is possibly a property of a
specific type of plastic which deterioratates over time.
Although time alone doesn't normally appear to be a factor
with plastic deterioration.
i.e. exposure to UV light will eventually render some types of plastic
brittle rather than flexible, but presumably this kit hasn't been
exposed to any UV.

michael adams