Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bench Grinders

In article ,
wrote:
Hello,

I'm of a mind to buy a bench grinder for general sharpening purposes -
knives, chisels shears etc, but also to do some polishing/buffing of
metal.

a. For sharpening, is a standard dual-wheel unit with one coarse and one
fine grit (plus manual dunking in water) be OK, or would a wet/dry
machine be worth it? b. Are the grit sizes likely to be standard as
supplied? And is materials choice important? c. Are 6" grit wheels
generally adequate? d. Is it possible on most machines to easily swap
wheels and/or fit buffing discs for polishing, or is there more to it
than that? (I'm thinking that replacing a heavy grit wheel with a light
buffing disc might not work.) e. Any advice on makes/models? As a fairly
low-usage tool I'm against spending too much.

I've got one of those combination wheel and belt jobbies. To me, it's more
useful than a twin wheel type.

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW