Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 24/07/15 08:40, Lobster wrote:

I can't see a single advantage of TV 1, and I'd never get a model with
built-in 'smart' again (if it will be possible to avoid!)

It's impossible to avoid - and I agree with you completely.

Whilst I agree in principle with what David said, in reality it doesn't
seem to be an issue for us -as ever use cases.. Probably because we
don't switch between inputs that much - most viewing is done via the
TV's smart interface (iplayer and netflix mostly at the moment (we don't
really bother with streaming local content or music etc.)) or via the
attached 'htpc' which nowadays is really just used for playing
downloaded/ripped movies or TV shows via xbmc.

Live TV only really gets watched when in laws come to stay.

(yes we could use it for stuff we do via the TV smart interface, but
really it's much easier to use the TV.)

The panel will vastly outlast the "smart" bit and whereas with a Roku
or chromestick, you can junk and replace it, the smart TV is not
upgradeable.

Also you get things like: will Samsung give a crap about firmware and
app upgrades on a 3 year old box? (Took long enough for my 18 month
Samsung Note 3 to get a Lollypop update).

Roku as they only have 3 or so models and that being their only and
core business are very much more likley to support their devices long
term.

Sadly, it seems to be cheaper to get a smart TV and ignore the smart
bit and buy a box anyway.

Can't see why it has to be sadly - does it make any difference if you
don't use it and don't have it connected to the net?

We got a Samsung Smart TV 3 years ago (really cos it came with the TV),
but in reality we've used it lots. When eventually it stops working
properly/doesn't do what we want we can just get a suitable box/stick or
whatever
--
Chris French