Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

On 23/07/15 20:55, Chris French wrote:

Note that what is on the services differs, and changes over time as
things drop of the service and new things come along. So you might want
to look at what's on offer from each one. And the film selection is
relatively limited, and newer films tend not to be on them (as the
rights holders want to make more money from DVD and individual streaming
purchases). At the moment we are preferring Netflix

Of course you can stop and start subs as you wish.

Also worth noting (let 14yo loose on it) that Netflix has different
content depending on the region. It is possible to 'fool' the system
into thinking you are in the US or whatever and have access to their
content.

www.unblock-us.com is the service I use. Warning though - chromecast
sticks, roku and even the Netflix app on android hard code 8.8.8.8 as
one of their DNS (ignoring the DHCP supplied value).

This is broken behaviour, but is designed to mess up DNS based region
switchers.

You will need to put a firewall rule on your router that redirects
8.8.8.8 (and 8.8.4.4) to the unblock-us DNS.

Anyway - that gives a huge amount of content. For the odd other thing I
tend to buy or rent from Google's play store which has a fantastic
selection, especially of esoteric and classic films.

I'm pretty close to telling BBC to shove their license. The *only* thing
we reliable watch is Dr Who.