Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

In message , News
writes

Moving forward, we now have a Netflix 30 day trial running,
subsequently 5.99 per month, for son to watch films or whatever.
However, having done a little more delving, there seems to be an Amazon
service, also available via TV as well as PC. However, our TV is
fairly modern flatscreen with USB and HDMI sockets but not a smart TV,
so Fire TV is required. Stick 35.00 or box 79.00

Am I missing anything? Is this the way to go, to get Netflix or Amazon
via the TV as well as PCs, phones etc? Is there a better/cheaper
option? Any thoughts?

Note that what is on the services differs, and changes over time as
things drop of the service and new things come along. So you might want
to look at what's on offer from each one. And the film selection is
relatively limited, and newer films tend not to be on them (as the
rights holders want to make more money from DVD and individual streaming
purchases). At the moment we are preferring Netflix

Of course you can stop and start subs as you wish.

Also worth noting (let 14yo loose on it) that Netflix has different
content depending on the region. It is possible to 'fool' the system
into thinking you are in the US or whatever and have access to their
content.

Cheapest way if you a suitable laptop/tablet/phone with HDMI output is
to hook that up and display it on the TV. though using a
Chromecast/Fire/Roku is a nicer experience.

--
Chris French