Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

On 23/07/15 11:15, Andy Burns wrote:
News wrote:

Fire TV is required. Stick 35.00 or box 79.00 Is this the way to go,
to get Netflix or Amazon via the TV as well as PCs, phones etc? Is
there a better/cheaper option? Any thoughts?

Chromecast is a similar dongle, does netflix, blinkbox, iplayer, youtube
etc plus screencasting from your own devices.

http://pixmania.co.uk/chromecast-h2g2-42/22320325-a.html

You should be able to pick one up in Currys/PCWorld/Argos

I would recommend a Roku 3 for serious use.

The Chromecast is OK ish - but it tends to "drop off" - not losing the
network connection (it finishes playing the film just fine) but after
about 15-30 minutes it becomes impossible to cast a new stream to it -
it just disappears from the phone as a casting option.

I've seen other complaints about this with no real fix offered.

My Roku 3 however both can accept cast streams from Android and (better)
it has its own remote so it behaves more properly like a media box that
can be used by itself.

It also has an ethernet port as well as WIFI.