Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default [OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc.

On 7/23/2015 10:57 AM, News wrote:

A few days ago, I received an e-mail from my ISP (Zen) saying they had
received an illegal download complaint from 20th Century Fox, which,
predictably, was traced (by me) to our 14 year old son. Spoken to Zen
who say further action extremely unlikely if content deleted and no
further downloads (which will be monitored) take place.

Moving forward, we now have a Netflix 30 day trial running, subsequently
5.99 per month, for son to watch films or whatever. However, having
done a little more delving, there seems to be an Amazon service, also
available via TV as well as PC. However, our TV is fairly modern
flatscreen with USB and HDMI sockets but not a smart TV, so Fire TV is
required. Stick 35.00 or box 79.00

or raspberry pi, and no doubt many other platforms that support netflix.

Am I missing anything? Is this the way to go, to get Netflix or Amazon
via the TV as well as PCs, phones etc? Is there a better/cheaper
option? Any thoughts?

Yup, basically a smart tv is one with a computer built in, nothing to
stop you replicating the effect with separate boxes. Note also that some
Blueray players include smart TV style capabilities.

--
Cheers,

John.