Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Resin gravel drive surfacing

On 22/07/2015 10:01, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 8:39:47 AM UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"nemo" wrote in message ...

Resin based gravel drives are appearing in our locality and we get
leafletted regularly e.g.
http://www.iresin.co.uk/resin-bonded-and-resin-bound-whats-the-difference/

It looks good but what are the pros and cons of this technology? Are there
any significant problems with grip, durability, temperature extremes,
maintenance, fading colour etc?

It's rather down to personal taste. I reckon it looks ok in an urban
pristine setting, but is far too even for my taste. Rather like the
difference between machine made and hand made bricks - they both work but
look worlds apart.

Longevity must largely be down to the substrate the resin is bonded to, and
when eventually a frequently used bit gets eroded, you can't just rake the
gravel back to cover it up. Ordinary gravel has it's pluses and minuses
though. We have almost an acre of pea shingle - it covers a multitude of
sins, and continues to do so even after I've been over it with tractors and
excavators, just needs the occasional rake over. Our issue is weeds and
protruding membrane. It was laid over a weed barrier by our predecessors and
torn bits work up to the top and get caught. Regular glyphosate spraying
controls the weeds if you remember to do it in time - daughters wedding this
weekend and it's having to be hand weeded as too late for the glyphosate

Andrew

If you can get your hands on some Premazor 57 and mix it with the Roundup. It acts like the old late lamented Simazine and remains active on the surface after the Roundup does its job.

You can still get Sodium Chlorate (Amazon) and that seems to give you
several months protection.