Rick Dipper

Default Asbestos in the floor: Advice, please

As long as you don't break it and get loose fibres in the air its fine. If its cracked or loose its not fine. Getting it out professionally is expensive, I
would get a quote and reduce the vendors price by the size of the quote.

Rick

On 23 Nov 2003 11:26:11 -0800, (Timbrook99) wrote:
A friend is considering purchasing a house which has a garage which
runs under the sitting room on a sloping site, built in the early 50s.

The surveyor has pointed out that the garage ceiling,
i.e. below the sitting room floor, is lined with sheets that include
asbestos.

In the garage, the ceiling appears to have been skimmed with plaster,
so the surveyor only spotted the asbestos by pulling up a loose part
of the sitting-room floorboards, over the garage.

The surveyor's report says, "Use of asbestos is unacceptable today".
Brilliant -not altogether helpful a sort of, "No more, no less". No
advice about asbestos risks or their prevention.

Given that there is a range of risks associated with asbestos, I
understand there's different sorts of asbestos whose effects from
lethal to f-all.

So:
1. Is asbestos always a real problem, in every case?

2. If it is under a floor and skimmed with plaster, should we worry?

If anyone has real knowledge on asbestos, then we'd like to know.

(PS. There's no intention to avoid our genuine legal duties about
asbestos.)

So, if it requires stripping out by a licensed asbestos-removal-team
then it may well be that my friend buys the house and gets it
sorted.... but

just as nobody on this group has any respect whatsoever for the
"corgi-thieves" who instal £700 gas boilers for more than £2,500
theft.

some realistic thoughts about this required.....