Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Solar power calculations, please help!

In article ,
harry scribeth thus
On Sunday, 19 July 2015 18:22:29 UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 00:41:20 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 09:18:39 UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

That's all very well, but it still doesn't explain why your panels
seem to be able to produce more power on average than big commercial
operations in a much sunnier place such as California. Two
explanations come to mind.

The first is that like is not being compared with like, and figures
given for the big farms are based on acreage of the site rather than
specifically the area of the panels alone. I think that's a real
possibility.

The second is that your panels have better than average efficiency.
From the figures you have given here and elsewhere, each of your
panels is 1m^2 and produces 200Wp*. That's better than any listed in
the table here http://tinyurl.com/ohwokko, which may not be
up-to-date. What particular panels do you have installed?

*20 panels, output 4kWp, 20m^2, 1kWp per 5m^2, hence each panel is
1m^2 and produces 200Wp.

There's 21 panels rated at 185 watts peak each.
They are polycrystaline.
The efficiency is 11%.

Thank you for that. But not 20 panels as you said earlier, and not
4kWp either, more like 3.885kWp to be pedantically precise. But still
nothing on their area. Who made them? As your electric car is a
Mitsubishi, I wondered if you had Mitsubishi panels, but AFAICT all
their 185Wp panels have areas greater than 1m^2 (typically 1.3 - 1.4
m^2) and have higher efficiencies at 13-14%. All the panels that I can
find that have an area of ~1m^2, not just Mitsubishi's, have peak
outputs less than 185W. If you don't know the exact size, tell me who
made them and I can probably look them up.

--

Chris

They are Mitsubishi panels. Model TD185MF5_

No longer imported. Dunno why.

They do more annual power than was calculated in the quotation which was
3187.8Kwh Even on a "bad" year.

I think we are in the rain shadow of the Malvern Hills and the quotation is for
average conditions. Also, we are on a hilltop (increases day length and diffused
light.)
Max daily energy generated 30Kwh (Two occasions only in over four years)

My second array has Norwegian panels and is 16 x 250w.
(Less than a year old)

We export more electricity than we use.
Plus zero fuel costs with electric car in Summer.

I would get more but the local transformer isn't up to it.

Really, what sort of amperage are they putting out?...

Quoted £6000 to change it. So, not viable.

Most of my immediate neighbours have PV panels as well.

--
Tony Sayer