Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT slightly surprised

In article ,
Charles Hope wrote:
So you got chucked out of the union - obviously a closed shop - so
unable to work again? ;-)

No, I left - of my own ccord.

Right. So no longer possible for you to influence the way the union
operated. But hardly anything to do with a closed shop which I originally
commented on.

Seriously, are you saying you got no chance to vote? Was this because
of a shift pattern?

No, I was working office hours

Was it by any chance action being taken on an earlier vote?

I well remember that dispute. The BBC were delighted to avoid giving
any form of pay rise and invented extra ones of their own.

That's one view, Another is that they had budgetted for apay rise, but
couldn't give it. Then there was a court ruling about getting parity
with ITV and so a pay rise did actually happen.

Well there you go. ITV had better pay rates because of a strong union. And
you eventually benefitted without contributing.

Bit like MPs being 'forced' to take a large pay rise while all around them
- and under their control - get a tiny one.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.