Posted to uk.d-i-y
Charles Hope Charles Hope is offline

Default OT slightly surprised

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Charles Hope wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
It didn't matter what the relationship with your friends was, there
were closed shops, if the union kicked you out you didn't work. And
yes they did kick people out when they voted against the union
instructions.

Citation, please. And lets have loads of examples. To prove they were
at least common rather than so rare as to be pointless.

I happily joined the ABS when I went to work at the BBC. I was even a
member of Branch Committee for a time. However a strike was called in
1973/4 to demand a pay rise. The Governement had introduced a pay
freeze which meant that the BBC was unable to give one, even if they
had wanted to. I was never aware of being asked whether I wanted to go
on strike. I was simply told that would be the case.

So you got chucked out of the union - obviously a closed shop - so unable
to work again? ;-)

No, I left - of my own ccord.

Seriously, are you saying you got no chance to vote? Was this because of a
shift pattern?

No, I was working office hours

I well remember that dispute. The BBC were delighted to avoid giving any
form of pay rise and invented extra ones of their own.

That's one view, Another is that they had budgetted for apay rise, but
couldn't give it. Then there was a court ruling about getting parity with
ITV and so a pay rise did actually happen.