Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default OT slightly surprised

On 17/07/2015 22:38, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

I think the *show of hands* at a mass meeting was always open to
intimidation and that the Thatcher changes were in the right direction.

Every time I read this I ask the individual if they would personally be
intimidated into raising their hand if they didn't want to.

Umm.. Depends on the relationship with other voters. There is always
going to be some pressure to vote the same way as close colleagues.
Perhaps not the level of intimidation implied by the media but
nevertheless pressure not apparent with a secret ballot.

It didn't matter what the relationship with your friends was, there were
closed shops, if the union kicked you out you didn't work.
And yes they did kick people out when they voted against the union
instructions.