Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default OT - low temperature wash

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 19:47:22 +0100, Phil L wrote:

"David" wrote in message
The recommended wash these days for clothes is low temperature - 30C to
35C I think - and this is often quite a quick wash.

Concerns have been expressed, however, from time to time, over the low
temperature not killing bugs/germs/whatever. Sometimes a recommendation
to add a disinfectant to a wash from time to time.

So - my dishwasher has various options including a fast low temperature
35C wash. We are currently using the "daily" program which goes to 65C
and takes over two hours.

Killing germs on food items is probably more important thank killing
germs in your woolly jumper. However in the old hand wash days the
water was probably not much higher than 35-40C unless you were dead
'ard and/or wearing thick Marigolds.

So - what does the team think about low temperature washes in a
dishwasher?

I note that there is an "auto-sensing" program which washes at between
40C and 65C but I have no idea how it makes up its mind.

I can't understand this modern idea of sterilizing everything, eat some
dirt, you'll feel better!

My sister has always been obsessed with cleaning and sterilising things,
and keeping the kids from playing in the garden when it's raining,
and...and... The kids frequently had sniffles, bugs, etc.

My brother and his wife worked on the principle that a bit of dirt is
fine, skin in waterproof...a kind of 'benign neglect' philosophy. Kids
were always very healthy.

We are essentially animals.
No other animals in the world sterilizes anything, I don't think any of them
clean their food much, maybe a quick dip in a puddle if it's caked in crap
and then straight down. You don't see them suffering with chronic diarhoea
though.
Their personal hygene leaves a lot to be desired but you rarely see any of
them with dandruff, acne, eczema or skin cancer from being in the sun,
strange that....although neither do they cover themselves and their food in
chemicals, which probably explains a lot.