#10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default OT slightly surprised

On Friday, 17 July 2015 12:11:48 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

I think the *show of hands* at a mass meeting was always open to
intimidation and that the Thatcher changes were in the right direction.

Every time I read this I ask the individual if they would personally be
intimidated into raising their hand if they didn't want to.

That depends on the individual, I know why as in one situation this happened to me at a meetign where the collge was askign the technical staff if they wouldn't mind if they didn;t pay us in the 3rd week of the month but put it back to the last day of the month to save the college money.
I though it a good idea and wanted to vote for it by rasing my hand and did, but noticed few others doing it so put my hand down before it got counted.. Then a long term union leader explained why this wasn't the good idea it seemed, and why I shouldn't vote to accept it. So intimidation can be good or bad.

I'd also ask why they only ever think a decision to take industrial action
would be influenced in this way, rather than not to take action.

That sentance confuses me. When we had a vote for other action it was typically striking during our lunch hour or before or after our working hours, which I thought was stupid so only mdid it once. The last two times I've been on stike I told my manager and I didn't come in so they stoped me a days pay which is fair. I wasn;t prepared to come in and stanbd on a picket line trying to convince others to not come to work.