Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default OT - low temperature wash

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 11:52:16 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I'd love to know what hotels use to wash their towels - to me, they
actually smell clean, rather than scented.

I did a "placement" work in hospital, the electrics department. Laundry
including operating room sheets with blood... The washing machine pipelined,
i.e. there'd be laundry in each of six (or so) stages, and it'd shift from one
the then next every three minutes or so. At the end there was a clothes dryer
that dried a thirty-or-so pound bag of laundry ever three minutes. Impressive!
Also impressive the line of ladies running the laundry through ironing machines.

The detergents are liquid, powerful, and nasty... but it would get the laundry
*clean*. There was a big flap when a laundry detergent line leaked and dripped
over a 10 kV feeder. Ate the zinc off the cable tray, and etched away at the
concrete floor. The insulation was very carefully checked before
pressure-washing the stuff off the (live) line...

That detergent