Posted to uk.d-i-y
Etaoin Shrdlu[_4_] Etaoin Shrdlu[_4_] is offline

Default OT - low temperature wash

Rod Speed wrote:

"Etaoin Shrdlu" wrote in message
. uk...
Rod Speed wrote:

"Etaoin Shrdlu" wrote in message
. uk...
David wrote:
The recommended wash these days for clothes is low temperature -
30C to
35C I think - and this is often quite a quick wash.

Not sure if anyone else finds this, but in my experience, bath and
hand towels get a bit smelly if they're not washed at a fairly high
temperature. I assume it's because the grease isn't getting removed
properly.

I wash everything except filthy greasy overalls in cold
water and dont get any problem with any of it smelling.

What sort of detergent do you use?

I use the transparent blue liquid stuff, mainly because
I have a hell of a problem with a sort of scum from the
not fully dissolved soap JUST on the very dark blue T
shirts I wear all year round. The scum which you can
wipe off with your finger when hanging it on the line
is never a problem on anything else for some reason.

Okay, I'll look out for transparent liquid blue stuff.

Dont get that problem when I wash in other than cold
water which to me proves that the problem is that
the solid detergent isn't dissolving fully in cold water.

I'm always looking for recommendations for all kinds of things.

Yeah, I do too.

It may be that I'm over-sensitive to some things (sometimes I think
pork smells of urine, when other people don't notice it).

Cant say I have ever noticed that myself, but I eat very little pork,
doesnt
have enough flavor for me, I much prefer roast legs of lamb to pork.

I used to eat pork chops a bit in the past but prefer steak and lamb
chops now.

Our towels sometimes smell of 'head'. Not unpleasant, but I'd rather
they didn't.

Yeah, I'd prefer no smell at all.

I use Pears Transparent in the shower and its
not that I can't smell very well, I notice some
visitors stink from what they use in the shower.

I once read that some people get a bit smelly if they use soap of the
'wrong' pH. No idea why, though.

I'd love to know what hotels use to wash their towels - to me, they
actually smell clean, rather than scented.

I dont use scented detergent myself.

I'd guess that any scent comes from fabric softener, which we don't use.

Yeah, I never use that myself. I dont wear
anything but pure cotton with T shirts.

I can't imagine that putting anything in the final rinse can be
terribly healthy, since the fabric now has something on it.

I dont really care about healthy, just want it obviously clean,
particularly with the stuff that gets most dirty like the tea towels
used in the kitchen mainly when handling hot plates etc.

I've read good things about white vinegar, though. I might try that
one day.