Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] blenkinsopp@mail.com is offline

Default Lidl paint sprayer/ Aluminium roof paint.

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:56:18 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp"
wrote in message ...
I have a flat roof that is a little "long in the tooth"

I thought I would give it a coat of paint to see if I could stall the
inevitable [one or two sunken its hold water].

I haven't used the paint before but iI get the impression it is both
very fluid and very volatile.

I want to keep my activities on the roof to a minimum, so I suppose
spraying the stuff on would be best.
Lidl do a sprayer for £14-00 has anyone any suggestions/ experience?

The paints instructions warn against use on polystyrene, so I would
guess that it may melt certain plastics. Also if the paint is
flammable might there be a risk of a static discharge using a sprayer.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

AB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2713732112...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

25 Litres? unless the roof is the size of a football pitch, that's a waste
of money.

You can get a 5 Litre can from any paint supplier / roofing merchant, but
it's not going to do any good.

It's a reflective coating designed to keep the heat down, pretty useless at
stopping leaks etc.

If it's leaking, this stuff is what you need, although it's not cheap, and
it's not meant to be a permanent fix:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cromapol-A...em43df88 53d8

Many thanks for the replies.

The roof does not leak at present, however the low bits collecting
water are presumably detrimental to the covering?

The roof used to be painted on a regular basis, but I have not seen to
it for a few years now.

The sun and associated UV light can be quite pronounced where the
house is located.

My assumption was that heat/ UV was detrimental to the roof.

The original coatings of paint have all but gone now leaving a large
expanse of dark patches.

I assumed if I could reduce the heat/ UV with the paint, it may help
to put off a replacement roof for another few years.

25 litres is overkill but as the house is not in the UK I would not
want to run out. Squirting many coats of paint onto a roof from a
comfortable distance would probably fall within my skillset
incidentally.

The main reason for the sprayer is to keep off the roof as much as
possible.

I have bought the paint and I could apply it with a sprayer, brush or
roller I suppose.

Please don't tell me it's going to be a total waste of time :-(

Regards

AB