Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default tv coax plugs

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Davey
writes
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:50:05 +0100
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 07/07/2015 18:12, MacDonald wrote:

Why do punters invariably put the cable grip on upside down?

Because there are no instructions with it when you buy one?

Perhaps I am one of those who fits them upside down, because I have
never seen anything resembling an installation diagram or fitting
instructions.

There is a continuous end and a segmented end. I have always fitted
the segmented end farthest away from the connection end. Am I right
or wrong?

Jim

http://satcure.co.uk/tech/tvplugs.htm

Images 9 (the one with the fingers) and 10 are wrong. The braid of the
coax should be splayed out radially, lightly sandwiched between the
clamp and the body, trimmed to very slightly more than the diameter of
the clamp - and then the 'nut' tightened up.

That said, I have been known to do it the way shown - especially when I
found myself making a right pig's ear of the proper way!

Just to follow up - this is the correct way to deal with the braid - and
centre pin.
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/

If the cable has a generous quantity of braid (as it should have) this wont
work because there is not room inside the body to accept both clamp and
braid.

The correct way - based on pictures provided by Belling & Lee 50 years ago
but recreated from memory - is as shown he

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...oto/tv/BL1.png
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...oto/tv/BL2.png
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...oto/tv/BL3.png

It will probably be found easier to solder the centre pin first - this should
make it easier to trim the braid with flush bladed cutters.

The ring of braid compressed between the clamp and the insulator when the
plug is assembled provides a true coaxial termination.

Those drawings show essentially what I described. The text says "Now do
a haircutting action - trim the braid as close to the aluminium part as
possible and smooth what's left back along the cable". I take that as
meaning "Try to trim off most of the splayed braiding - but it's OK to
leave a few longer strands on".
--
Ian