Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default tv coax plugs

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 21:32:55 +0100, Charles Hope
wrote:

In article , Graham.
wrote:
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 19:26:35 +0100, Charles Hope
wrote:

In article , Graham.
wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 21:15:32 +0100, Charles Hope
wrote:

In article , NY
wrote:
"Davey" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:50:05 +0100 Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 07/07/2015 18:12, MacDonald wrote:

Why do punters invariably put the cable grip on upside down?

Because there are no instructions with it when you buy one?

Perhaps I am one of those who fits them upside down, because I
have never seen anything resembling an installation diagram or
fitting instructions.

There is a continuous end and a segmented end. I have always
fitted the segmented end farthest away from the connection end.
Am I right or wrong?

I can understand the mistake of fitting the cable grip upside down,
given that the cylindrical metal shroud of the plug often has a
conical indentation at the cable end into which the conical end of
an upside-down cable clamp fits nicely. I've even seen plugs with
the clamp already inserted upside down so a punter would naturally
assume that when he has removed it to fit onto the cable it should
remain in that orientation.

I've never heard of soldering the central core to the centre pin of
the plug. I was told to use fine-nosed pliers to crimp a slight
kink in the core so it will make good contact with the inside of
the centre pin.

oh dear.

It was a lot more important to solder the inner when TV was delivered
via VHF especially Band I

I'd expect far greater losses from an un-soldered joint at Band V

It's a commonly held view given that feeder losses are so much greater at
UHF, but it's wrong.

How about reading the manufacturers tables?
eg: URM43. 100MHz loss 13dB/100m
600MHz 34

URM67 50 MHz 4.5
800 MHz 18

I'll repeat it and highlight the important word.

It's a commonly held view **given** that feeder losses are so much
greater at UHF, but it's wrong.

The view that the same amount capacitive coupling attenuates the
signal more at UHF than at VHF is wrong,

Feeder losses increase with frequency, that's a given!

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%