Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Wills and executors

On 08/07/2015 18:06, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:48:23 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Intestacy is no more complicated than a will, and is at least
unambiguous.

Oh, indeed it is unambiguous. Even if you know it's not what the
deceased wanted, it is unambiguous. George Osborne has a higher claim
than an unmarried partner.

How is anyone expected to know what the deceased wanted if they didn't
put their wishes in writing?

Do you need your missus to write everything down in order to know what
she wants?

By "your missus" you mean my wife, or my latest girlfriend?

Could have been scribbled on a piece of toilet paper and witnessed by a
drunk on a park bench. It would still be a valid will

So, just to be clear, you're now suggesting a will is straightforward,
and a good thing to have?

It's straightforward if nobody challenges it*, and it's an essential
thing to have if the intestacy rules don't cover your requirements. If
you have a wife and kids, then why would you need a will? (unless you're
Bill Gates or Warren Buffet)

* "I leave all the furniture in the dining to the barmaid at the Lamb
and Flag". Imagine the fun you could have with that if it was worth
anyone's while