Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Aircon Daily Mail

On Tuesday, 7 July 2015 11:03:36 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 6 July 2015 18:55:09 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes:
On Saturday, 4 July 2015 16:06:45 UTC+1, David wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...at-budget-DIY-
expert-reveals-create-homemade-solar-powered-air-conditioner-just-FIVE-
MINUTES-using-bucket-fan.html

Basically a plastic bucket with a fan grafted into the top which blows air
over a block of ice to produce cooler air.

interesting I was thinking of getting this at the weekend.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/portable-a...d-heater-a75tb

That sort of cooler doesn't work in the UK. OK, it will cool down,

well the last one I had from them seemed to work for nearly 3 years.
and it was the ex demo model they were using in the shop at the time I went in they had to go find the box.

but it raises the humidity in the process, which means it won't
*feel* any cooler at all

it definiotaly felt cooler to me.

(i.e. wet bulb temperatature will stay
the same, or even increase). It would work best just used as a fan
without any water in it. You can buy a fan for less than 1/10th
of the price.

I tried that and it didn't work very well.

These sorts of coolers (often called swamp coolers) work in hot dry
countries.

it was pretty hot and dry in my frontroom in London.

I experienced one at one venue, and it did produce moderate cooling, both in centigrade and feeling. It certainly doesn't have anything like the effect of ac though.

You can always split the evaporation and cool air streams to get cooled dry air. Presumably it means a diy job.

NT