tempus fugit

Default opinions on buying a scope

What about other brands like Hitachi and B&K Precision?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Charles Schuler" wrote in
:

"tempus fugit" wrote in message
Hey all;

I'm thinking about adding a couple things to my test equipment
arsenal,

and
I was thinking about a scope. I've seen quite a few on eBay going
fairly cheap, but I'm not sure what I need for capability (or even if
I really

need
a scope) My main diagnostic tool is a DMM. I mostly work with audio
stuff (built and designed few things) and the odd repair for a family
member of some piece of consumer gear, so I don't need anything too
intense I don't think. What kind of bandwidth is useful? I'm guessing
there are some older scopes out there with such limited bandwidth as
to be useless anymore

(maybe
that's why they're so cheap). What about a PC scope (hardware or soft
- although I suppose the software type will be limited to 20kHz
bandwidth). Can anyone point me to a good tutorial site on how to use
a scope, applications, tricks, etc?

There is so much stuff on scopes that you will find too much. Here is
one example: http://www.qsl.net/wd1v/scopefaq/index.html
Tektronix, Agilent, and others have some really good stuff in the way
of tutorials and application notes.

For me, a scope is the best instrument in the lab. In fact, if I can
have only instrument, it's going to be a scope.

Others do nicely with other test equipment. I suppose it's a matter
of what one is used to and how one visualizes circuit operation.

As to a used scope, there are some great buys out there. The problem
is getting parts. Many scopes use proprietary ICs that cannot be
purchased. I know people who buy two (or more) of the same model and
use one for parts. Good luck.

FYI,for a hobbyist who wants a low cost used TEK scope that uses NO custom
ICs,the TEK T922/932/935 (or the TEK 442) are nice scopes that are
relatively new.BW of 15-35 Mhz.Easy to work on.

TEK 422 is an older scope that I have good regard for,too,15 Mhz.
TEK 453,50 Mhz,IIRC.
TEK 454,150Mhz IIRC.

Avoid 200 and 300 series TEK scopes,IMO.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
remove null to contact me