Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OVO Smart meter

On Wednesday, 1 July 2015 22:51:25 UTC+1, Bill Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 22:27:42 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 01/07/2015 21:34, alan_m wrote:

I was under the impression the difficulty in changing was that the
company you may want to switch to wouldn't accept you as a customer
under any circumstances because of incompatible smart meters. They don't
necessarily want the hassle or expense of changing a meter for someone
who may have a 12 contract before changing supplier again.

I've had it suggested that I change to a smart meter a few times now but
it isn't going to happen until they can provide a meter that every
supplier can work with. Until then, any swap will have to be for a
mechanical meter, something you can insist on.

I am unsure why anyone would want to insist on such; unless they were just
being bloody minded.

Just suppose company X said use our meter .... and then you found that the company X were the most expensive option and then you found that you couldn't change suppliers because of yuor special box that only your supplier X can use.

The pnly way of changing supplier would be to have yuor meter changed which you have to pay for, and return the old meter. Hopefully they won;t be any small print requireing you to pay a termination fee as 'their' engineer and ONLY their engineer could disconnect you.