Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Stewart[_2_] Bill Stewart[_2_] is offline

Default OVO Smart meter

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:16:36 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Bill Stewart wrote:

I am getting one next week - complete with wi-fi connection to my router.
Does anyone have such, and any comments on it?

Is this a fully smart meter ie one that lets OVO read it when they want
to or simply one to inform you of your personal consumption visa your
home network?

It is a fully functional Smart Meter.
Having the connection to my wi-fi was an option which I chose.
I understand that *all* smart meters have the facility to use mobile phone
network for transmitting half-hourly data back to base. I don't know if it
will use my internet connection to transmit meter readings or the phone
network.
I am not actually bothered: it is not costing me anything (despite what some
seem to be wanting to claim). I was hoping that someone had one and could tell
me what facilities it provides to the user. OVO web pages are very sparse on
such info.
(I personally think that they are a total waste of time and money: I really do
not believe that they will save people money. The companies are having to fork
out millions for buying and installing them so that everyone has one by 2020
(I think it is) : I can't guess who is going to pay those costs)