Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default OVO Smart meter

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 02:56:06 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 July 2015 10:34:22 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 09:35:26 +0100, Bill Stewart
wrote:

I am getting one next week - complete with wi-fi connection to my router.
Does anyone have such, and any comments on it?

Apart from the privacy concerns which, if they haven't been done to
death in this group have been elsewhere, I recently found out that if
you decide to switch suppliers you almost certainly will need to
switch smart meters too.

But why is that ? Are yuo sure the hardware is dedicated to one supplier ?
Doesn;t seem to make much sense.

It doesn't make sense in a free market but it makes a great deal of
sense to a company wanting to lock their customers in. I've read about
it in various "money" page articles in places like the Grauniad, Indie
and Telegraph on line.

Nick