Sunny

Default OT? CDR Burning Big-Time Problems

Mark wrote:
In article ,
says...

Mark wrote:

This may be OT for this NG, so I'm begging the indulgence of
knowledgeable people.

I'm at my wits' end. I've been struggling with this for
about 6 weeks now, and am in desperate need of advice.

I'm running Win98SE, using a compatible Mitsumi drive, and
the following has occurred with All of the following, All in
the same way; ECDC 4.0, ECDC 5 Platinum (without and with
current Roxio upgrades), Nero (current 5.X download
version), and Stomp RecordNow Max (current download
version).

In every case, I can record audio CDs without any
difficulty.

Recently, after the purchase of a digital camera, I've
started to try to record photo (data) CDs. In every
attempt, the process appears to go normally through all the
burn stages. Once complete, if I let the software verify,
it fails. If I look at what's on the disc with Windows
Explorer, it will show "Track01.cda" at 44 bytes

Look at an audio disk in Windows Explorer - it will show TrackNN.cda, 44
bytes for each audio track.

Your software has burned your data as audio, most likely because that's
what you asked it to do.

I appreciate the suggestion, but as I thought I'd made
clear, I had Not asked it to burn audio, but rather either
photo or data.

Nonetheless, the fact the resulting disc has a single 44 byte *.cda file
on it is incontrovertible evidence the disc was burned in CDDA audio
format. You could confirm this for yourself by playing the disc in a
standard audio CD player, but keep the volume *way* down as the noise
will be most unpleasant and could damage your speakers. The audio
player's display will show the disc has one track, and the track time
will be approximately 7 seconds times the number of megabytes you burned.

Either you are inadvertantly misconfiguring the software, the software
is burning audio regardless of your instructions, or the drive is
burning audio regardless of the software's instructions. I've never seen
any instances of the latter two possibilities, so am unable to offer
further suggestions.