Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default decking stain/paint for longevity??

On 30/06/2015 10:24, Chris French wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 26/06/2015 17:27, David Lang wrote:
On 26/06/2015 10:03, JimK wrote:

Any good/bad experiences and product +s (or -s) welcome

Same sort of thing but I am in the market for something to apply to a
garden shed (previously done with light brown solvent based stain)
which is now a bit faded and not as weatherproof as it needs to be.

And more problematic the four VH picnic benches which were ill
advisedly painted with one of those eco friendly brown paint wood
"treatments" that claim to protect wood but in practice flake off
every winter and curl back trapping water against the exposed wood
surfaces.

Any suggestions for the least bad options for either of these?
Brush or sprayable would be fine (it is quite a large shed 25'x12')

rather than the paint type stuff, which does flake off, you need
something thinner that soak sinto the wood.

We used some Cuprinal stuff in our last house on the shed and fence.

Don't think they sell the same stuff anymore - probably fell foul of the
rules of VOC's but the Shed and fence protector or ultimate garden wood
preserver seem to be nearest.

https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/sheds/index.jsp

That is the problem.

All the ones which work have been withdrawn and replaced with eco
friendly things requiring annual maintenance instead of once every five
years I guess it provides more profits to the manufacturers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown