Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] docholliday93@gmail.com is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 3:16:01 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 29 June 2015 03:18:41 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

snip
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...ch/statistics/

the relvant line there is:

'People receiving a mains voltage electric shock per year (15+): 2.5 million*
Of whom received a serious injury: 350,000**'

If that is correct, we would have, with average life expectancy apx 80, 80x350,000 people in the uk who have been seriously injured by shock. That's 28 million! The most basic sanity check shows that to be wildly unrealistic.
And to make that more precise, since shock protection measures have greatly improved in the last 80 years, the actual figure would be far higher, if their claim were true.

You always need to look at the source and assess the data. Its pretty obvious they're a group promoting increase of electrical safety, and pretty obvious that a lot of people mislead & even lie routinely when they have an agenda to pursue.

I notice (looking further down the quoted page) that the figure for electric shock comes from the answers given in interviews with 4032 people over 15.. Apparently the people were selected to be a 'representative quota sample' and the results weighted to represent the known profile of the adult population of GB.What we don't know is the way the questions were phrased.
What I really don't understand is how they calculate the figure for injuries, given that they say they were obtained by surveying 4032 adults *all* of whom had received an electric shock injury...