Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

On 23/06/2015 22:52, wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 17:20:21 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/06/2015 21:51, ARW wrote:
nt wrote in message
On Monday, 22 June 2015 20:40:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 June 2015 23:20:25 UTC+1, Jim x321x wrote:
My house was built and wired in the 1980s and has an old-style
fuse box.

Is there really a significant
increase in electrical safety with the modern RCD units?

There are 20 something deaths from shock a year, mostly due to people
doing idiotic things. RCDs reduce the risk. This is a long way down
the
list of Risky Things in Life, so is the oposite of a priority.

So what what would you prioritize?

Look at the top 10 killers.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lead...s-of-death.htm

The top 2 are heart disease & cancer. They kill half the population.
Expert concensus is half these deaths are readily avoidable by
healthier eating, not smoking & some exercise. These are the number 1
priorities.

A lifesyle choice is not relevant to diy or general risks in the house.

Not only that, as had been pointed out at various times, one insures
against losses that one can't otherwise replace. I would include wife
and children in that category, so a one off premium of a couple of
hundred for smoke alarms and RCDs sounds like a very worthwhile investment.

2 different issues lumped together,

Smoke alarms and RCDs are different - however the risks associated with
not having either are comparable (although injury from fires per years
are far fewer than from electric shock). I seem to recall someone round
here was very fond of plastering domestic fire safety stats into every
wiki article given the chance. Why the double standards?

and a non sequitur.

Explain

Maybe some of us just aren't into risk assessment.

You think... I wonder who?

--
Cheers,

John.