Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT Climate Change

On 25/06/2015 16:33, Robin wrote:
On 25/06/2015 15:00, Robin wrote:
On 25/06/2015 10:30, Robin wrote:
Now it seems, we have global cooling, as predicted by Russian
astronomers about a decade or so ago:

I think *global* cooling goes a bit far given the report includes:

'Met Office scientist and lead author Sarah Ineson, said: "This
researchshows that the regional impacts of a grand solar minimum
are likely to be larger than the global effect. This study shows
that the sun isn't going to save us from global warming, but it
could have impacts at a regional level that should be factored in
to decisions about adapting to climate change for the decades to
come." '...

The prediction is for global temperatures to fall by 0.1C. That is
global cooling.

Is that not a prediction for global temperatures to be lower by c
0.1C *relative to the increases predicted* otherwise?...

The wording of the article is 'The latest study, published in Nature
Communications, found reduced solar activity will lead to an overall
cooling of the Earth of 0.1C.' That appears to be a fairly clear
statement that global temperatures are expected to decrease by 0.1C
from what they are now.

Which is why I quoted (twice) from the source material, not from what
Nathan Rao wrote for the Express. But if you prefer his interpretation
of Nature to mine or your own reading of the source materuial so be it.
I'm done.

What you are quoting from is back pedalling by people who, at the turn
of the century were telling us that global temperatures were going to
continue to rise, which they have not. However, Russian astronomers
were, at the same time, telling us they wouldn't and that a cooling
cycle would begin around 2012. I prefer to go with the people who have,
so far, fairly accurately predicted what was going to happen and their
suggestion is that we can expect serious cooling over the next 30-50
years, possibly longer.

--
Colin Bignell