Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 22:58:13 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt wrote in message
On Monday, 22 June 2015 21:51:09 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt wrote in message
On Monday, 22 June 2015 20:40:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 June 2015 23:20:25 UTC+1, Jim x321x wrote:
My house was built and wired in the 1980s and has an old-style
fuse
box.

Is there really a significant
increase in electrical safety with the modern RCD units?

There are 20 something deaths from shock a year, mostly due to
people
doing idiotic things. RCDs reduce the risk. This is a long way
down
the
list of Risky Things in Life, so is the oposite of a priority.

So what what would you prioritize?

Look at the top 10 killers.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lead...s-of-death.htm

The top 2 are heart disease & cancer. They kill half the population.
Expert concensus is half these deaths are readily avoidable by
healthier
eating, not smoking & some exercise. These are the number 1
priorities.

A lifesyle choice is not relevant to diy or general risks in the house.

Risks and the cost of avoiding them are 100% relevant to risks and the
cost of avoiding them

I do not consider telling a fat ******* to eat less less food to be DIY
related.

Fitting a lock on a fridge is DIY related.

So what. A DIY safety improvement is only worth doing if its not way down
the list of what one can usefully do. RCDs have their upside, but at 20
something deaths versus over 100,000 a year they're just not the priority.
Eat healthily, learn advanced driving, treat infections promptly &
vigilantly, take proper precautions with power tools and so on. If all those
plus dozens of others are done, then an RCD becomes worthwhile.

Funny how so many think electricity & gas a big risk, when really the most
dangerous things we do are food shopping & smoking.

What is not so funny is how many people do not realise how dangerous
electrcity is.

It takes 20 to 30 years of smoking or shoveling chips down a big fat gob to
cause the damage. If they cannot see what is coming then it is their
problem - the NHS spend a fortune on preventative medicine and yet people
still live unhealthy lifestyles.

Electricity is unseen and kills in less than a second and may not be the
fault of the person that is killed. The IET have decided that RCD protection
is the future. It's not expensive and it saves lives - so much so that there
are thousands of people who did not receive the smallest of shocks when the
RCD operated saving them from becoming a minor statistic.

--
Adam