Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

wrote:
On Monday, 22 June 2015 22:53:32 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
What I meant is in some cases you will have no power because the
install trips the RCD when powered

That's hardly an ongoing problem... it means you have either a
fault, or too much combined leakage. Both fixable, neither relevant
since no one will be fitting a single whole house RCD anyway.

And of course we do some basic tests before we reconnect circuits (or
even better, before we disconnect the old board) don't we...?

I have posted links to the stats before. Even if we are only talking
about 20K serious injuries, that is ample justification for spending
a couple of hundred quid on your home for your family's protection
in my view.

Having cut through a live cable protected by 30A fuse wire (which
didn't blow) and seen the resulting fireworks (and hole in my
cutters) I'm quite happy to have MCBs and RCDs. A new dual-RCD
consumer unit is only about £50 now.

And what would you estimate as the cost of fitting it plus putting right
whatever the installer decides needs to be done before re-energising? I
ask as it's unlikely the OP would have asked the questions he did if he
were competent to DIY a change of CU.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid