Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 June 2015 23:20:25 UTC+1, Jim x321x wrote:
My house was built and wired in the 1980s and has an old-style fuse box.

Is there really a significant
increase in electrical safety with the modern RCD units?

There are 20 something deaths from shock a year, mostly due to people
doing idiotic things. RCDs reduce the risk. This is a long way down the
list of Risky Things in Life, so is the oposite of a priority.

So what what would you prioritize?

Smoke alarms would be my number 1 - even if they are just battery powered
ones.

Number 2 would be to have an escape plan if there was a fire and the smokes
sounded.

And number 3 for safety in the home IMHO is RCD protection at the CU (at
least for the socket circuits).

--
Adam