Posted to uk.d-i-y
Charles Hope Charles Hope is offline

Default Do I need to update my house's fuse box?

In article , Graham.
wrote:
On 22 Jun 2015 09:05:02 GMT, Jim x321x wrote:

wrote in
:

My house was built and wired in the 1980s and has an old-style fuse
box.

The old fuses have all been repeplaced with cirquit-breakers plugged
into

the fuse sockets.

There can be issues with doing this. Certain designs have gaps between
the MCBs and the cover which would fail modern ingress protection
rating against poking things in. Also the plug-in MCBs sometimes have
a lower breaking capacity than 'conventional' MCBs.

Thanks. I have to admit, that there *is*, arguably an issue with the
plastic cover that originally covered all the fuses. The subsequently-
installed MCBs stick out to far to allow the old cover to be attached.
So I simply left it off. My thinking was that MCBs should probably be
in plain view anyway, because one should be able to access them
quickly. Also, unenlightened tenenats and/or their guests might not
know where the MCbs are located if they were all covered with an opaque
plastic cover that's screwed on.

I suppose I could quite easily modify the cover to make it deep enough
to cover the MCBs without obstructing free flip-switch operation.

BTW, I am in England, so not bound by regional Scottish regulations.

Jim

I used to have a Wylex CU with the old style push button retrofit MCBs.

The face of the cover had been removed so it just formed a frame around
the breakers. I don't remember if the original cover had been modified,
or if it was a special item supplied with the MCBs

If you modify the cover corectly, you are left with a retaining frame which
holds the MCBs in place/